Varicose veins are much more than just a cosmetic problem or a sign of aging. They can be a symptom of Venous Reflux Disease also known as Chronic Venous Insufficiency (CVI). Dr. Dimitropoulos offers a number of medical, non-surgical, treatments for this condition. You have lots of choices and we have lots of tools to help you alleviate the pain and suffering that varicose veins cause. It starts by understanding the signs and symptoms of your varicose veins.
- Bulging large veins that are visible just under the surface of the skin.
- Swelling of your ankles and feet that worsens as the day goes on.
- Painful, achy, or “heavy” legs.
- Throbbing or cramping in your legs.
- Itchy legs, especially on the lower leg and ankle. This is often misdiagnosed as simply “dry skin”.
- Discolored skin below the knees, especially around the ankles.
- Leg pain, aching, swelling, heaviness or fatigue.
- Burning or itching of legs.
- Ankle discoloration and/or ulcers, open wounds or sores.
- Restless leg syndrome or cramps.
- Bleeding from varicose veins.
- Clots in the varicose veins.
Vein problems are common!
- Have a family history of varicose veins.
- Are or have been pregnant.
- Have work requiring prolonged standing.
- Have a history of leg injuries or clots.
Options for treating venous disease include:
- Watchful waiting.
- Conservative management including walking, leg elevation and compression stockings.
- Medical management with one of the minimally invasive office-based techniques. This includes options such as Radiofrequency Ablation, micro-phlebectomy, as well as ultrasound guided sclerotherapy. Vein issues are very common, therefore understanding your options is important.
Dr. Dimitropoulos can evaluate your symptoms, with the assistance of a venous ultrasound, and help determine the best solution for treating your venous disease. And, together we will decide if watchful waiting, compression, or some of the other procedures available to treat this common problem are for you.
Call now to set up a consultation and learn more about what options are available for you: (630) 963-4000